Sunday 4 December 2011

Some Things Should Be Seen and Not Heard

Today's blog is dedicated to the best and worst accents in film. I've done some research to see what the people think so this list is a combination of my opinion and the public's. There are some decent actors on the worst list which goes to show that acting and accents are not skills that go hand in hand. Let me know if I've left off one of your best or worst.

So here's the list in no particular order.

Best Accents on film:


1. Hugh Laurie (British to American) House. I honestly would not think he is British had I not seen him in Blackadder. He does an excellent American accent.



2 .Sir Anthony Hopkins (American to New Zealand) The World's Fastest Indian. Being a kiwi I think this is a really hard accent to pull off. People tend to go Australian before they can figure out the kiwi accent. Sir Anthony did a great job in this film and I thought his accent was pretty authentic. So he gets two thumbs up from this kiwi.



3. Damian Lewis (British to American) Band of Brothers. Just like with Hugh Laurie, I had no idea Damian was British as I watched Band of Brothers for the first time. Since the show portrayed real life people it was important to get the accent right. He obviously did a lot of research for his portrayal of Capt. Winters and it shows.


4. Leonardo DiCaprio  (American to South African) Blood Diamond. This one's an interesting one. Many people did not like this accent at all and he actually appeared on a lot of worst accent lists. I think the reason for this is that many people have never actually heard a South African accent. It is a very strong accent and has a mixture of many accents in it including Dutch. There a a lot of South Africans in New Zealand so I grew up around the accent. I think that along with the kiwi accent this is one of the toughest to do. In my opinion Leonardo did a great job at it. 


5. James McAvoy (Scottish to British) Atonement. I really enjoy the versatility of James McAvoy, he's fast becoming one of my favourite actors. For anyone who doesn't know him check him out in The Last King of Scotland, it's an incredible film and you'll get to hear his sexy Scottish accent. In Atonement he uses a British accent. I can't tell you what area of England exactly that it's set in so I'm not sure what dialect it is but it sounds authentic amongst the surrounding British actors. 


6. Daniel Day Lewis (British to Irish) In the Name of the Father. One of the greatest actors if you ask my opinion. His Irish accent is completely natural in this film, and from what I've been reading is used as a study for many aspiring actors. 


7. Renee Zellweger (American to British) Bridget Jones' Diary. Many people were upset when they found out an American had been cast as loveable Brit Bridget. People quickly shut up when they saw how well Renee pulled of the British accent. She has truly become Bridget. 


8. Viggo Mortensen (American to Russian) Eastern Promises. If you haven't seen David Cronenburg's Eastern Promises then I recommend you do. It's violent but brilliant. Viggo is stunning in his performance as a driver for the Russian mob. His accent is perfect and he completely sheds the heroic Aragorn image that so many associate him with. 


9. Robert Downey Jr. (American to Australian) Tropic Thunder. Oh Lord, this was such a risk and boy did it pay off. Robert Downey Jr. playing an Australian who plays an African American. It takes a strong actor to pull that off without offending anyone. If you haven't seen this movie you are missing a hilarious story and a strong performance by RDJ. 


10. Meryl Streep in anything. I really don't think I need to add anything. She's Meryl. That is all. 

Worst Accents on film:







1. Natalie Portman (American to British) V for Vendetta. I am still haunted by Natalie's accent in this film. The way she says 'V' is just horrendous. I really enjoy her as an actress and was looking forward to this film but I really think she dropped the ball with her British accent. 






2. Anne Hathaway (American to British) One Day. I have not yet seen this movie but the people have spoken and they hated her accent. From what I've heard it's a mix of so many British accents that it stops being an accent. If you're going to play a Brit, take a page from Damien Lewis' book and do some research. 





3. Harrison Ford (American to Russian) K-19: The Widowmaker. Oh my, his attempt at a Russian accent...no words necessary 





4. Brad Pitt (American to German) Seven Years in Tibet. This was a classic case of me having to google Heinrich Harrer in order to find out what accent Brad was attempting. I just don't see why he bothered. Since they didn't bother to cast a German I would have preferred him to keep his American accent. It would have been less distracting. 





5. Kevin Costner (American to British) Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. This is actually one of my favourite films. I knew I was going to marry my husband when I first asked him what his favourite film was and he answered 
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Unfortunately Costner's attempt at a British accent is lazy and flawed.




6. Angelina Jolie (American to Greek) Alexander. I haven't seen this film, I didn't dare. One look at that bad wig they put on Colin Farrell and I looked the other way. The people have voted Angelina's accent in the film as one of the worst. She's actually been on a few worst accent lists. Beauty isn't everything friends. 




7. Dick Van Dyke (American to British) Mary Poppins. His films entertained me when I was young and I still find them magical. The cockney accent is not so much however. It's almost like a caricature of what someone would assume a cockney accent sounds like if they'd never heard one before. 


8. Renee Zellweger (American to Southern American) Cold Mountain. This is our most interesting accent issue so far. Renee showed up on our best accent list with her British accent. She appears here for her Southern American accent in Cold Mountain. What makes it odd is that Renee is from Texas, as in the state most known for it's Southern accent. Not really sure how she screwed that one up. 


9. Russell Crowe (Australian/Kiwi to British) Robin Hood. Ah Robin we meet again. I think we all need to ensure that if they try to make yet another Robin Hood movie they do something as crazy as hiring an actual Brit for it. Russell got very upset when a reviewer pointed out his bad accent in the film. I believe they thought it sounded Scottish rather than British. Either way, he got it wrong. 


10. Jude Law (British to American), any film he’s being American. Poor Jude, accents are not really a talent of his. Luckily he has those beautiful eyes to distract us. Stay British Jude, we love you British. 

No comments:

Post a Comment