Saturday 24 December 2011

Films From My Childhood

It's Christmas Eve and I'm feeling nostalgic, so I've decided to dedicate today's blog to the films of my childhood. I was born in the '80s so I grew up with some pretty epic kids films. Today there are some great kids films like Wall-E and Finding Nemo, but I don't think the majority of kids films today can compare to those of the '80s and '90s.

The Neverending Story 1984
I was born the year this film was made, so that's two awesome things from 1984 (teehee). This film is brilliant. The story follows Bastian, a young boy who is bullied and hides in the attic at school. There he reads The Neverending Story. Soon enough he finds himself a part of the story and has to help Atreyu save Fantasia. If this film was made today it would be done with CGI, which would be unfortunate. The SFX is pretty spectacular considering it's from 1984.

The Goonies 1985
This is my favourite kids film. The Goonies are a group of friends who go on an adventure when they find a pirate treasure map. They hope that the treasure can be used to save their town from being redeveloped into a golf course. The film is filled with fun and adventure, and also a classic tale of friendship and childhood. Goonies never say die.

The Labyrinth 1986
Bowie, a magical labyrinth and a desperate search to save her baby brother...this film has it all. I have seen this film many times and it's just as brilliant now as it was back then. The story is by Jim Henson and there are some awesome puppets throughout the film. There's even a very catchy tune sung by Bowie which will never leave your head once it's in there.

Flight of the Navigator 1986
This film is set in 1978 and follows a young boy named David who falls down a ravine and wakes up eight years in the future, thanks to an alien named Max. The SFX are really incredible thanks to the '80s love of all things futuristic. This is a great film for kids even today.

My Girl 1991
Such a heartbreaking and heartwarming tale of a young girl and her best friend Thomas. Vada is obsessed with death. Her mother died when she was a baby and her father runs a funeral home. Vada's father falls in love with another woman and Vada does everything she can to break them up.

The Mighty Ducks 1992
I love this film. Emilio Estevez stars as Gordan Bombay, a lawyer who is sentenced to community service as a youth hockey coach. The motley crew that is his hockey team end up becoming the great Mighty Ducks and they teach him how to put others ahead of himself. I also love the 1996 film D3: The Mighty Ducks, because the team is now on scholarship at high school and they have to deal with a new coach. The films are cheesy but they're fun and take me back to my childhood.

So that's my list of my favourite films from my childhood. What's on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment