Monday 5 December 2011

The Mighty God of Thunder

I've been watching a lot of Marvel films recently and thought I'd do some reviews of them over the next few days. Today is all about the mighty God of thunder: Thor.



Please be aware that this may contain spoilers.

I went to see this in the cinema and loved it. I have been eagerly anticipating a sequel and am excited to hear whispers of it floating around. I do not have much knowledge when it comes to Marvel, I've never read a comic book in my life (something I definitely aim to fix) so my only knowledge comes from these films and my older brother. My brother is an avid fan of marvel and we spent a couple of hours last week talking about Thor and the upcoming Avengers film. To some this may seem like a boring thing to discuss for hours over skype but I actually found it really interesting. Thor is also a deity from Norse mythology so there's a rich history there.



What I really like about Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is that when we first meet him he is full of arrogance. He is clearly a skilled warrior and is on his way to the throne of Asgard when things don't go as he planned. His arrogance puts others at risk and his actions defy his father, King Odin. As punishment Odin strips Thor of his godly power and sends him to Earth in exile. Odin sends Thor's mjolnir (his hammer) to Earth as well but with an enchantment that only he who is worthy can wield it.



On Earth Thor meets Jane (Natalie Portman) an astrophysicist, her assistant Darcy (Kat Dennings) and her mentor Eric (Stellan Skarsgard). In Asgard things are not going so well. Odin has fallen into "Odinsleep" a coma-like induced sleep to help him recuperate. Loki, Thor's brother, has an agenda of his own which prompts Thor's friends to go to Earth and bring him back.



The film has everything a good action film should have: special effects, action, intrigue, romance, good guys, bad guys etc. I liked the character arc of Thor as he learns to be less arrogant. That scene in the cafe where he demands another cup of coffee was my favourite. Natalie Portman did well in the role of Jane. She and Chris had a good connection on film which is surprisingly rare in action genre films. I find too often they don't cast actors that have onscreen chemistry.



The film ended with me wanting more, but in a good way. Make sure you wait to the end of the credits of Thor for the sneak peek of The Avengers.  It seems I will have to wait another year before the sequel will be out, but The Avengers comes out next summer so we will get to see Thor in that. I look forward to seeing more from Chris Hemsworth. His film career has only just started and already he's proving that he can carry a film, and a mjolnir.

1 comment: