Friday 30 December 2011

M:I4 Ghost Protocol

I'm not always a fan of Tom Cruise films. I find he either gets it right or gets it terrible wrong. I try not to let an actor's personal life interfere with the way I judge a film, but sometimes with Tom it's hard to do. Between his antics on Oprah and all the rumours about his Scientology beliefs floating around it's hard to take the man seriously sometimes. Yesterday I went and saw Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, and ladies and gentlemen, I'm happy to report the Tom Cruise is back in business.


The film is an action through and through. From start to end there's barely a moment to breathe, but it's a good thing. The plot itself is very simple. The IMF is shut down after the President declares Ghost Protocol and so Ethan Hunt and his team have to rogue in order to stop a Russian madman from detonating an atomic bomb. I have to say, I really missed the good old days when the enemy was always the Russians, the threat, an atomic bomb. These days most action films are set in the Middle East with terrorism being the main focus. Obviously these films are American and therefore entirely one-sided and completely devoid of historical facts. Nevertheless they are entertaining.


Cruise's Hunt was significantly less annoying in this 4th installment. I remember in M:I 3 there were some terrible one-liners. This film worries less about dialogue and puts the emphasis on the stunts, which is what a good action should do. There is one scene where Hunt has to climb up the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, using only some gloves that have electronic suction. Of course technology is not always to be trusted and there were some edge of your seat moments. I usually don't respond strongly to action scenes but that one literally had me on the edge of my seat. 




Hunt's team consists of Jane (Paula Patton) an IMF agent, Benji (Simon Pegg) the techie, and film's comedy relief, and Brandt (Jeremy Renner) an analyst with an interesting past. We first meet Hunt in a prison in Budapest. His escape route is nothing short of spectacular. The team then head to the Kremlin in Russia, then onto Dubai and finally India to take down the enemy. The film makes great use of these various locations, particularly Dubai. 




If you're looking for a pick me up in this bizarre time of year that is the week between Christmas and New Years then check out Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. It's packed full of action and fun and promises not to take life too seriously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment