Wednesday 25 July 2012

Why do we fall?

I was a good wife and waited for my husband's day off to go see The Dark Knight Rises, though truth be told it drove me crazy hearing all the wonderful things and having to wait. But good things come to those who wait, and I was rewarded for my patience.


The Dark Knight Rises is the best film I've seen all year, perhaps the best film I've seen in many years. It is the perfect finale to an already outstanding trilogy. This seems like quite the statement to make but I stand behind it. There are many factors that determine how great a film is: screenplay, directing, acting, cinematography and the score to name a few. Some films reach greatness on some of these levels but miss others. As we've come to learn with Chris Nolan's previous work he is a man who knows how to take us to levels we hadn't fathomed before (cough cough Inception cough). TDKR is no exception.


Let us begin with the acting. There are some outstanding performances in this film. I feel that I have to mention Sir Michael Caine as Alfred first. He doesn't have as much screen time as he did in the first and second installments but his performance packs an emotional punch. He brings heart and soul to the film, in many ways he is the voice of the many, he doesn't possess the physical strength of the heroes but he brings his vulnerability and love of Bruce to the point where he humanizes him, reminds him of his own limitations. The next actor I need to mention is Tom Hardy as the frightening Bane. His physical possession of the screen is intimidating enough, but he also brings a calm and destructive control. He's a villain you will love to hate, and will also come to understand.


Anne Hathaway is wonderful as Selina, she is sexy, sophisticated and strong. She isn't just there to be a pretty face and a nice body. Her character has purpose, a very important purpose and Anne shines in the role. Christian Bale is back again as the complex Wayne and heroic Batman. We get to see him as Wayne more in this film which was nice, I felt it gave more insight into the character. We also get to see more weakness in him which only adds more to the triumph of his rise from the (literal) hole he finds himself in. Joseph Gordon Levitt has a great performance as Blake. Like Alfred he shows the world of Gotham through a citizen's eyes. He proves himself to be a true hero without a mask. Morgan Freeman as Fox, Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordan and Marion Coutillard as Miranda give nothing but the fine performances we have come to expect from them.


The screenplay is spectacular, I don't really know what else to say about it. There are so many great twists and turns, secrets are revealed, lives are lost, heroes rise. There is never a dull moment, nothing felt too long or too short. There is some foreshadowing, one in particular that made me know early on how it was going to end, but that didn't make it predictable, it made it feel complete. The ending is exactly as it should be. Both Chris Nolan and Jonathan Nolan wrote the screenplay and with brilliant minds like that at the helm it's easy to just let go and know that the story is in safe hands.


The cinematography by Wally Pfister is joyously moody. I know that's quite an oxymoron but it truly is. The lighting is dark, the ambiance tense, but there's a charge in the air, and as Selina says a storm coming. Throughout the film you feel that storm brewing purely through the lighting in the scenes. Batman has always excelled in the dark, it's his element, but perhaps this time the shadows will not be the allies he has found them to be previously.


Director of the year goes to Chris Nolan (sorry Joss Whedon, I truly do love you too). This man is unstoppable. Watching Memento years ago I knew that he would be one of the greats and he has not disappointed. I cannot begin to imagine the daunting task it would have been to direct a film of TDKR size. I have seen a few behind the scenes clips and it looks overwhelming. Hundreds of extras, enormous sets built, not to mention the constant hold he has on the story at all times. As an aspiring director I find myself in awe of such talent. What I wouldn't give to be able to shadow that man through the process of making one of his films. In an earlier post I saluted Joss Whedon, in this one I bow down to Nolan.


TDKR is one of those films that I found myself wanting to clap, gasp out loud, and at one point actually physically stopped myself from making a sound. It's a true hero film in that you really believe in Batman and you want to see him rise no matter how far he has to fall first. We've seen his beginning, we've seen him fall and now we get to watch him rise. It's okay to feel a little emotional about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment