Monday 18 July 2011

The End's not near, it's here

When Harry Potter first came to screens worldwide in 2001 I had no interest in seeing it. To my sixteen year old mind it was a blatant rip off of Lord of the Rings, of which I am a huge fan. I didn't really know anything about it except that it had a wizard that looked like Gandalf and some kid in dorky glasses.



My younger brother was a huge fan however and convinced me to read it. The first two times I tried I never made it past the first few pages. There was always something better to read. But then I tried a third time. And so begins the story of how I became a Potter fan.

What I love most about the books is its ability to take me back into childhood imagination. I remember my brother once saying to me when I began reading it that he would love to go back and be able to read it for the first time. After finishing the series I understood what he meant. JK Rowling takes you on a journey where you come to know the characters as though they were real enough to reach out and touch. It's not always the most easy read though. Through the series beloved characters are killed, and we learn things about our fictional friends we sometimes don't want to know. In a sense Rowling's books are more in touch with reality than any other series I've read before. In life loved ones die, people let you down. Harry learns this most of all.



Last Thursday my brother, father and I went to the movies and watched Harry Potter together for the last time. It had a been a tradition for us these past few years since I'd returned home, just as it had been a tradition for us to watch each Lord of the Rings film on it's opening night and again on Christmas Eve. I was both excited and a little sad as I sat down with my 3D glasses and overpriced ice cream waiting for the film to commence. Was I really ready to say goodbye? Either way I had no choice, eleven years had flown by quickly and the end was there before me.



The film starts right where we left off, with Voldermort taking the Elder wand. From there we burst into action as Harry, Ron and Hermione figure out where the rest of the horcruxes are and how to destroy them. I will not say anything about the film's plot in case you have not seen the film. What I will say though is that this was by far the most enjoyable Harry Potter film yet. I don't know if that's because knowing it was the end I latched myself more onto the story than before, or perhaps it was because David Yates has found the perfect balance between literature and film, taking out only what could be spared. The graphics have improved greatly from the last films, I particularly loved the dragon. The fight scenes are incredible and the mise en scene is spectacular.



I would not recommend this latest film for a young audience, there is a lot of violence and some scenes are quite scary. For those who have followed the story from the very start though I think you will be very happy. The end of the film, just like the end of the book is quite a treat. I am going to miss my Potter friends. It's been a great journey and I am glad I finally got on board to enjoy it while it was still playing out. However if there's one thing Rowling has taught me it's that I can return to my imagination at anytime, and that's where I'll find these incredible characters. And just as Dumbledore says, just because it's happening in your head doesn't mean it's not real.

No comments:

Post a Comment